About Me

My photo
Oakland, CA, United States
Broke, sisterlocked, nursing student

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Failed styling attempts

So out of boredom I started playing with my hair the other day...



As I was rummaging through my shelves looking for some setting lotion.... I stumbled upon this.








This was my grandmothers old electric rollers had to be from the late 80s or early 90s. So I figured, everyone in the SL network is so jazzed about those Carusos, these cant be too much different, what the heck and tried them out. I pulled the unit out the closet and plugged it up... After the smoke settled (lol) they where warm so I put them in my hair and left them until they cooled and this my friends is how I looked after,





Not so hot.



But it got me to thinking if you are using steam/heated rollers on locks that aren't mature won't that retard/delay the locking process? Riddle me that.

So after that failed attempt and after rummaging more I found some small perm rods. I wet my hair and put it in 5 small pony tails and then applied the rods to the ends. I slept on this and went to sleep. The next morning I took the rods out and the curls were tight but cute because they where only on the ends. However my hair still looked sectioned from the ponytails so I figured I just loosen it up in the shower. Well when I got done it didn't look too different from my freestyle so posting pics wasn't necessary. Failed attempt #2.



So after another bout with boredom I decided to plait my hair and do a braid-out. I put my hair in about 10 plaits and put the perm rods at the very ends and left it overnight. That's the look I am wearing today. I like it but still doesn't look too different from my freestyle.

Before












After



So I decided that until my locks mature I will just rock the freestyle (unless I get bored again). Because my hair has such a natural tight curl to it I figured it will lock quick and I'm extra paranoid that if I keep on playing in it it will only sow down the process.





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well...what can I say about Black hair! Girl, I love it to death and it is definitely a process. It's something about wearing your hair natural that gives me a sense of pride in my culture, cuz many others have tried and failed...but that's a different story. Go 'head girl! Oh and F.Y.I., I'ma have to cop that 10 plaits, curl the end. THAT'S THE BIZNESS!!!

Anonymous said...

SEEMA - I LOOVE IT!!!

i wish i could post a picture of what i've been doing with my hair lately....

i guess check out my facebook.... but i curled my mature locks and it was cute... but right now, i've got a pink/red stripe down the middle of my head that i have simply fallen in love with.

:)

Naseema said...

Thanks ladies... I'm glad you likey.

Nikki imma have to check out this stripe.

Allecia said...

The great thing about failed styling attempts is that you can just rinse or spritz your hair and go back to freestyling. Your braid out was cute!

Lakia said...

LMAO! you are too funny, but freestyle is the best style for baby locs. You can try bantu knots as well.

It's Me...Phylecia...Remember??? said...

He!He! Congrats on being locked! I thought I was the only one with failed hairstyling attempts. Everything I did just made it seemed like I had twigs in my hair! I will keep reading and see what you come up with. The braid out and twist are finally working for me!

Anonymous said...

I remember that roller set "after the settled.." HA!!!

Anonymous said...

opps I meant "after the SMOKE settled"

Naseema said...

Ish... Loser

OnyxCherry said...

Hilarious, I started laughing out loud at work when I saw the pic from the hot roller set. ROFL.